As we get ready for formal season, we often find inspiration straight from the runway. All throughout the Big Apple, from Lincoln Center to the Meatpacking District, top American designers present their collections. We’ve rounded up notes from this past season’s shows to help you dress for the occasion.
1. Good news, Chanel ladies! The classic union of black and white is dominating the floral trend this spring.
2. Two-piece attire is in, as shown by Alexander Wang’s entire Spring collection. Go for a cropped chiffon top paired with a well-fitted skirt.
3. Bold stripes continue to rule the season, but in the form of asymmetrical patterns like this Alice + Olivia dress.
4. Asymmetrical skirt lengths will also carry into spring in the form of fringe, high-low combinations, and slanted hems and dominated Balenciaga’s Spring collection.
5. Yellow, yellow, yellow! Yellow will be seen everywhere from bags to swimwear, rivaling the bright orange and hot pink that were wildly popular for the past two seasons. Go for a breezy spring dress, like this model from Charlotte Ronson.
6. The romantic dresses we thought would be passé by now are in fact still “in” thanks to Marchesa’s free-flowing runway show.
– Ege Ozyegin