Congratulations, you’ve officially made it through yet another holiday season. Your cousins have finally left (your home is no longer a hotel), you’ve re-gifted at least five times (mad props, who knew secret santa served two purposes: catching up with your girlies and getting rid of those ugly scarves), and you’ve vowed to never ingest another caloric holiday drink ever again (until next year, of course – spiked eggnog is obviously way too hard to pass up!). All you’re left with are the remnants of a cold, eerily similar to what your cousin insisted was “just allergies,” another hand-knit scarf from Grandma, and boyfriend jeans that are now leggings. Yikes. Looks like you, too, are victim of the infamous “Holiday Hangover.” Here’s five ways to kick it (or hide it until next year):
1. Drink water. So, maybe you should’ve asked the creepy man behind the bar for “agua” instead of “cervezas” in Cancun…oops! Now that you’re back on home turf, opt for at least eight eight-ounce glasses of water a day in order to boost your energy, metabolism, and skin. Thank us now, or thank us later (preferably in the Spanish you learned from your new friend, Roberto…or just in his super hot Spanish accent).
2. Sleep! Sleeping beauty wouldn’t be beautiful without her beauty sleep, and neither are you without at least eight hours of shut-eye every night. Feel like splurging? This Chic & Chilly Eye Mask from Henri Bendel is sure to fight puffy eyes from late nights out while you catch up on your much-needed Zz’s.
3. Sweat. A lot. “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don’t”… hold onto the Holiday Hangover for too long! We promise!
4. Eat smart. Load up on fruits and veggies, lean proteins, and whole grains. Our favorite place to grab something healthy and delicious? Sweetgreen! (Warning: the Lemon Hummus Tahini Dressing is highly addictive. And so is the Champagne Vinaigrette…and the Cucumber Basil Yogurt…and the Agave Dijon. Okay, you get the point.)
5. Try something new. The holiday season is about giving to others – now it’s time to give back to yourself! Take up yoga or scrapbooking, even if just for a day. Do something that makes you happy. You deserve it. (Aw, okay, time to give yourself that big ol’ bear hug you dodged from your ex-linebacker uncle on Christmas Eve because you thought he’d crush you.)
Remember your first hangover during NSO? Thankfully, as expert hangover doctors, we don’t. (Ours lasted three seconds…maybe even less.) So, drink up (water, of course), sleep in style, sweat it out, eat those greens, and be adventurous. Your 2012 Holiday Hangover won’t stand a chance.
This is hilarious. props!