After one month of hospitalization for severe weight loss and gastrointestinal problems back in 1991, the doctors finally figured out what was wrong with my grandma; they diagnosed her as having celiac disease. Back in 1991, the variety of gluten free products offered to the public was not only scarce, but also hardly advertised. Come the new century, however, a revolutionary wave of gluten free products and mixes entered common grocery stores across America, and people living with celiac disease no longer needed to search for specialty stores and websites to find items like pizza crust, bagels, and cereal that they could eat.
Celiac disease is a digestive disease that interferes with the absorption of nutrients from food and leads to ultimate damage of the gastrointestinal organs, such as the small intestine. Those diagnosed with celiac disease must eliminate gluten containing products from their diet, typically those products made up of wheat, rye, and barley. Interestingly, gluten is not only found in foods, but also lip balms, medicines, and vitamins.
Below is a list of what I feel are the top ten gluten free products currently out in the market. These items illustrate the new attention that is being given to celiac disease patients to make their lives a lot more comfortable.
1. General Mills Gluten Free Chocolate Chex Cereal- not only is it great tasting as a breakfast meal, but this chocolate cereal can also be used to create many yummy desserts and snacks, like gluten free crunchy fudge cookies and peanut and chocolate chex bars.
3. Gabriel Cosmetics Lip Gloss Gluten & Lead Free-this sultry lip gloss comes in eight different shades, including caramel and champagne.
4. Schar Gluten Free Pizza Crust-loaded with all of your favorite cheeses, veggies, and meats, this pizza dough makes a delicious gluten free favorite food.
5. Foods Alive Onion Garlic Golden Flax Gluten-Free Crackers-the robust flavor of these crackers goes wonderfully with gluten free hummus or your favorite gluten free dressing dip.
6. Aunt Gussie’s Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies-everyone loves to indulge in a chocolate chip cookie and a glass of milk, and now you can enjoy this treat gluten free.
7. Bakery On Main Extreme Fruit & Nut Granola-a hearty addition to top yogurt and fresh fruit for a delicious breakfast or healthy snack.
8. Glutino Pretzels Twists-this salty, bite size snack is perfect to grab on-the-go, and tastes delicious dipped in peanut butter.
9. Tostitos Natural Blue Corn Restaurant Style Tortilla Chips- a perfect snack to pair with additive free guacamole that combines the healthy nutrients of protein, carbohydrates from the tortilla chips, and healthy fat from the avocado.
10. Gillian’s Foods Sandwich Loaf- a yummy sandwich bread that makes for an express, very delicious peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
By Madeline Snyder